Wednesday, August 06, 2008

How To Measure Greatness

SCRIPTURE


23 Then he said to all, "Anyone who wants to follow me must put aside his own desires and conveniences and carry his cross with him every day and keep close to me! 24 Whoever loses his life for my sake will save it, but whoever insists on keeping his life will lose it; 25 and what profit is there in gaining the whole world when it means forfeiting one's self? 26 "When I, the Messiah come in my glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels, I will be ashamed then of all who are ashamed of me and of my words now.”
Luke 9:23-26 (Living)

46 Now came an argument among them as to which of them would be greatest in the coming Kingdom! 47 But Jesus knew their thoughts, so he stood a little child beside him 48 and said to them, "Anyone who takes care of a little child like this is caring for me! And whoever cares for me is caring for God who sent me. Your care for others is the measure of your greatness." 49 His disciple John came to him and said, "Master, we saw someone using your name to cast out demons. And we told him not to. After all, he isn't in our group." 50 But Jesus said, "You shouldn't have done that! For anyone who is not against you is for you."
Luke 9:46-50 (Living)

For further study: Galatians 5:16 – 6:18, Ephesians 4 - 6

OBSERVATIONS


It is easy to get in the worldly frame of mind and seek to please ourselves with the conveniences and toys that are available in this rich country we live in. It is difficult to carry all those things around and still have the strength to carry our cross as well. Anyone would say that the cross is more important to carry but it is easy to be tempted toward our own pleasure and gain, but what gain is it to obtain this whole temporary world and then lose it all and also lose the eternal?

Self denial is foreign to our human nature yet it is taught by Christ and it is in all of Paul’s writings. The disciples were having a difficult time with the concept and argued who would have the most status in Christ kingdom. He summed it up by stating: “Your care for others is the measure of your greatness."
They still didn’t get it and became jealous that someone outside of their group was doing great things for God. It’s not about me its about God first and then others.

APPLICATION


I need to help others even when it doesn’t feel good,

PRAYER


Lord I pray that I will deny myself of luxury and ease and help others physically by serving them, financially and by showing them Jesus.