Sunday, July 10, 2011

Redeeming Our Weaknesses

Men of the Bible Series - Peter didn't let his failures define him


Matthew 26:33-35  Peter declared, “Even if everyone else deserts you, I will never desert you.” 34 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, Peter—this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.” 35 “No!” Peter insisted. “Even if I have to die with you, I will never deny you!” And all the other disciples vowed the same.

Matthew 26:69-75  Meanwhile, Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. A servant girl came over and said to him, “You were one of those with Jesus the Galilean.” 70 But Peter denied it in front of everyone. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said.

71 Later, out by the gate, another servant girl noticed him and said to those standing around, “This man was with Jesus of Nazareth.” 72 Again Peter denied it, this time with an oath. “I don’t even know the man,” he said.

73 A little later some of the other bystanders came over to Peter and said, “You must be one of them; we can tell by your Galilean accent.” 74 Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know the man!” And immediately the rooster crowed.

75 Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he went away, weeping bitterly.

We all make promises that we can't keep, whether it is a promise to our family or friends it is usually a way out of a difficult situation that is usually caused by fear.  What a sad story for Peter, the person he made a promise to was Jesus, right to his face he made a vow.

We can all relate to Peter, we have all made promises to Jesus, we all have to say oops from time to time. Peter knew all about the oops moments, besides denying that he was a friend of Jesus there was the time when he lost his faith while walking on the water, on another occasion he is rebuked by Jesus for speaking out of turn. (Matthew 14:22-32, 16:21-23)

Staying down isn't for the Christ Follower and we can learn from Peter's example that he didn't stay down for too long. After his denial of Jesus Peter's relationship is mended when Jesus comes back from the grave. (John 21:1-25) Peter rises above his failures and become a great leader in the early church (Acts 2-15)

I don't have to stay down after I stumble and fall, Jesus knows  that I will fall again and again but he loves me anyway and he still gives me the opportunity to be used for his purposes.

Thank you Lord for being in the relationship building business, thank you for your forgiveness, you take what little tiny bit that I have and you choose to use it for your work.

You might like to read: Men of the Bible blog series.