Saturday, July 23, 2011

Encourage Your Pastor

Men of the Bible Series - Titus was Paul's support man.


2 Corinthians 7:5-6  In fact, when we came into Macedonia, we had no rest. Instead, we were afflicted in every way: struggles on the outside, fears inside. 6 But God, who comforts the humble, comforted us by the coming of Titus,

2 Corinthians 7:12-15  In addition to our comfort, we rejoiced even more over the joy Titus had, because his spirit was refreshed by all of you.

14 For if I have made any boast to him about you, I have not been embarrassed; but as I have spoken everything to you in truth, so our boasting to Titus has also turned out to be the truth. 15 And his affection toward you is even greater as he remembers the obedience of all of you, and how you received him with fear and trembling.

2 Corinthians 8:16-17  Thanks be to God who put the same concern for you into the heart of Titus. 17 For he accepted our urging and, being very diligent, went out to you by his own choice.

Paul was having a very difficult time in Macedonia, he tells us that he had "struggles on the outside and fears on the inside"

We can see in the book of Acts that Paul was facing some difficulties in his ministry in the Macedonia region. On the outside he was put in prison for healing a slave girl and just a few weeks later he was caught up in a riot in Thessalonica (Acts 16,17) this guy needed some comfort, he needed some peace.

It sounds surprising to me to read that Paul had "fears inside" but it shouldn't surprise us, Paul wrote about his personal struggles in many of his letters. Paul was honest about his humanness, his request that his followers pray for him to know how to minister and how to preach, this guy is real.

Paul, a Jew, called Titus his son, something that he also said about Timothy (Titus 1:1, 1 Timothy 1:2). Paul loved Titus and he may have been responsible for leading him to Christ. Paul was encouraged by this devoted Christ follower, Titus was somebody that Paul could count on in his ministry, he was able to join in with the work that Paul was doing but he also went back to Corinth on his own to minister.

I need to be like Titus. I need to join in the ministry that my pastors are doing and I also need to be a minister working on my own calling that God has set aside for me, one of the ministries that I can have is to encourage and pray for the pastors of my church.

You are an awesome God, it is amazing that you choose to use us for your work. Help me to be faithful in my ministry and to be an encouragement to the spiritual leaders in my life.
You might like to read: Men of the Bible blog series.