Thursday, October 21, 2010

Keep My Commandments

If you don't then the world won't know that Jesus matters.


John 14:15  "If you love Me, obey My commandments.

1 John 2:5  But those who obey God's word truly show how completely they love Him. That is how we know we are living in Him.

I have been studying the fifty commands that Jesus gave us while he was on earth and now today I come to the command that tells me to obey all of the other forty-nine commands.

So what's the big deal? Why is it so important that I bother with studying what Jesus told me to do and then why should I have to attempt to put these rules into practice?

Jesus told us that the only reason that he expects us to live by his teaching is because we love him. There is no other way to show proof of our love for him than to keep his commandments. Professing that I love him isn't any proof, anybody can throw words around but where is the proof?

It is pretty obvious that I love him if I am denying myself, taking up my cross, loving everybody without complaining about how they treated me. If I am laying up treasure in heaven, seeking opportunities to serve, protecting my marriage and making disciples then the world will know that we truly love Jesus our Savior. Isn't that what really matters?

I will strive and pray daily that I will be faithful to the teachings of Jesus, it isn't about following a list of rules, it's about showing the world through my obedience that God's truths matters.

Help me to obey your commands everyday Lord, give me the wisdom and the strength to put your teaching into practice and give me grace for when I fall short.

You might like to read: Commands of Jesus blog series.