Monday, December 07, 2009

How Exciting Is My Quiet Time?

If you are yawning through it then you need to wake up.


Nehemiah 8:1 All the people assembled with a unified purpose at the square just inside the Water Gate. They asked Ezra the scribe to bring out the Book of the Law of Moses, which the LORD had given for Israel to obey.

2 So on October 8 Ezra the priest brought the Book of the Law before the assembly, which included the men and women and all the children old enough to understand. 3 He faced the square just inside the Water Gate from early morning until noon and read aloud to everyone who could understand. All the people listened closely to the Book of the Law.

Nehemiah 9:3 They remained standing in place for three hours while the Book of the Law of the LORD their God was read aloud to them. Then for three more hours they confessed their sins and worshiped the LORD their God.
What if you only had the Book of Law to read for your daily quiet time, I don't know if I could keep a journal or a blog of my daily quiet time if I only had the Book of Law to read, how exciting would it be to sit down and read God's word?

Thankfully we have a more complete revelation of God and what he is like, he has revealed himself to us through the sixty-six books of our Bible, and we have a better understanding of who he is through the teachings and the life of Jesus.

Heartfelt, genuine worship like this is seldom seen in churches today, just let the pastor ramble on for five extra minutes and the congregation is going to be zoned out. The Israelites had been given so much as the Lord restored their nation and they were so in awe of what he had done for them that they couldn't help but praise him and learn about how to please him.

The Lord has shown me incredible mercy and love but I can be very nonchalant and unresponsive to these great gifts that I did nothing to deserve.

Help me Lord to always stay aware of your gifts to me, and to always appreciate them, I don't want to ever be indifferent.Help me to always be excited about studying your word.