Sunday, July 12, 2009

Keep Your Life For Eternity


scripture

John 12:23  Jesus replied, "Now the time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory.

24  I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels—a plentiful harvest of new lives.

25  Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity.

26  Anyone who wants to be my disciple must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me.

observation

This must be the only time that Jesus and the religious leaders agreed on anything. The High Priest told the priests and Pharisees that "it is better for one man to die for all the people" (John 11:49-50) and now Jesus is telling the crowd that his death will produce a harvest of new life.

The High Priest was looking out for himself and was interested in the lifestyle that he had grown to love.

The Savior was looking out for the best interest of others, he was the ultimate example of serving others and he showed us that if we give up our life we will have our life returned to us for eternity.

Which one do you want to be like? Jesus said that if you want to be like him then you must follow his example, it may seem difficult sometimes but God "will honor anyone who serves Jesus."

application

I need to be careful not to follow the example of this world, it is easier for all of us to look out for our own interest, but Jesus gave us the ultimate example of giving our lives away and he told me to do the same.

prayer

Help me to always look out for ways to serve others. My life is not my own, it was bought at a high price!