Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The Faithful Church

The faithful don't need to be strong.


Revelation 3:7-13 "Write this letter to the angel of the church in Philadelphia. This is the message from the One who is holy and true, the One who has the key of David. What He opens, no one can close; and what He closes, no one can open:

8 "I know all the things you do, and I have opened a door for you that no one can close. You have little strength, yet you obeyed My word and did not deny Me. 9 Look, I will force those who belong to Satan's synagogue--those liars who say they are Jews but are not--to come and bow down at your feet. They will acknowledge that you are the ones I love.

10 "Because you have obeyed My command to persevere, I will protect you from the great time of testing that will come upon the whole world to test those who belong to this world. 11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown. 12 All who are victorious will become pillars in the Temple of My God, and they will never have to leave it. And I will write on them the name of My God, and they will be citizens in the city of My God--the new Jerusalem that comes down from heaven from My God. And I will also write on them My new name.

13 "Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what He is saying to the churches."

The church in Philadelphia receives a message from the One True God that is in control of everything. Philadelphia was found faithful to the one that is called "Holy and True" and they would receive commendation from Jesus without any discipline. (Revelation 6:10)

Thankfully God is not just Holy without being True! We would never be good enough if we were required to match his holiness on our own, but thankfully we don't have to because he is also True to all of his predictions and promises that he has made.
2 Corinthians 12:10 That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
The church in Philadelphia had little strength (Revelation 3:8) but it didn't matter because they never denied Jesus, they were true to him, they knew the source of their strength. It came from Jesus and he would protect them because they have been faithful and obedient. (Revelation 3:10)

Jesus shows his strength to the church to encourage them:

  • Jesus has opened a door that no one can close.
  • Jesus closes a door then no one can open.
  • Jesus will force Satan's people to bow and acknowledge that God's children are loved.
  • Jesus will protect us from the Great Tribulation.
  • Jesus will come back for his church to give them their reward.
  • Jesus will make us citizens in the city of God.
In these verses of Revelation Jesus made a lot of promises to the church that was faithful. The faithful church has the greatest hope because it has the ultimate source of strength and because of that it has the brightest future. We should be the most joyful people because God is on our side.

The church in the United States has more freedoms than any other church has ever had and we also have the greatest amount of financial resources but sadly we are doing very little. We need to be found faithful in using the opportunities that we have been blessed with so that the gospel message will be declared to the nations.

RELATED ARTICLES