Sunday, October 01, 2017

The Living One

The "Living One" gave me life so that I can give it back to him.


Revelation 1:17-18 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet as if I were dead. But He laid His right hand on me and said, "Don't be afraid! I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the living One. I died, but look--I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave.

John 1:1-4 In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He existed in the beginning with God. 3 God created everything through Him, and nothing was created except through Him. 4 The Word gave life to everything that was created, and His life brought light to everyone.

We live in an age that is consumed with avoiding the inevitable fact that we will all stop living someday. We look for better ways to eat and exercise and we look to advances in medical technology to help keep us alive longer.

Still we are not the master of our destiny and we cannot change the fact that we are going to stop living in this world. It is really an unnecessary worry because living eternally is what we are all going to do. The only thing that you need to be concerned with is where you will be for all of that time.

The "Living One" is the reason I should not be afraid


The main story of the Bible that you need to understand is that Jesus has made it possible to change your eternal destination. The work of the "Living One" on the cross has made it possible to spend eternity with him if you accept the free gift.

Jesus is the source of all life, he can take it or give it, the Bible has plenty of examples of Jesus giving physical life back to people that have died. Remember The widow of Nain’s son, Jairus’ daughter and Jesus' dear friend Lazarus. (Luke 7:11–17, 8:52–56, John 11)
John 5:24, 26 I tell you the truth, those who listen to My message and believe in God who sent Me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life. 26 The Father has life in Himself, and He has granted that same life-giving power to His Son.
Have you listened to Jesus message? Have you honestly checked out who he is for yourself? He has the power to give life in this temporary existence and he can also give you an eternity with him in the place he is preparing.

The "Living One" is the High Priest that I desperately needed.


The law of God that was passed down to the Jews through Moses stated that a substitute sacrifice had to be given in your place so that you didn't have to die for your sins. In order to be made right with God you had to go to the high priest and follow the steps that the law of God required.
Hebrews 7:16, 23-25 Jesus became a priest, not by meeting the physical requirement of belonging to the tribe of Levi, but by the power of a life that cannot be destroyed. 23 There were many priests under the old system, for death prevented them from remaining in office. 24 But because Jesus lives forever, His priesthood lasts forever. 25 Therefore He is able, once and forever, to save those who come to God through Him. He lives forever to intercede with God on their behalf.
Jesus is my high priest and he has declared me righteous! But before he became my perfect high priest he was the perfect sacrifice for my sins. The old system of sacrifices is gone because the perfect sacrifice is the final sacrifice and the new high priest is the "Living One" that will never die.
The "Living One" is the one I live for
Romans 14:7-9 For we don't live for ourselves or die for ourselves. 8 If we live, it's to honor the Lord. And if we die, it's to honor the Lord. So whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 Christ died and rose again for this very purpose--to be Lord both of the living and of the dead.

2 Corinthians 5:14-15 Either way, Christ's love controls us. Since we believe that Christ died for all, we also believe that we have all died to our old life. 15 He died for everyone so that those who receive His new life will no longer live for themselves. Instead, they will live for Christ, who died and was raised for them.

Galatians 2:20 My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Before I accepted the great sacrifice that was given for my sins, it didn't matter how I lived, I could not do anything to change my eternal destination so it was up to me to enjoy this life while it lasted.

But now that I have been bought out of the slavery to sin, I don't belong to myself anymore, a high price was paid to give me eternal life, the one that purchased my freedom deserves to be Lord and ruler of my life.

I don't live under the restraints of the old law and I do not obey it to please the people around me. The Pharisees are not around anymore checking out my behavior to see how spiritual I am. Well they are not supposed to be but there may still be a few of them around.

My motivation to live a holy life that sacrifices self and glorifies God is out of love and gratitude for what the "Living One" has done for me. (Romans 7:4-6)