Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Do You REALLY Get It?

scripture

John 14:15, 23-24, 31  "If you love me, obey my commandments.  

23  Jesus replied, "All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. 24  Anyone who doesn't love me will not obey me.  

31  but I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father.

observation

There is a lot of advertising these days for companies that want to help you out by erasing all of your debt. Keep one thing in mind, not a one of them is doing it out of love for you, it would be unthinkable that they are here to save the day just because they think that you are wonderful and you deserve a second chance.

Someone does love you and he did pay off your debt! It is difficult to comprehend the enormous debt that the Lord cancelled, he gave you a bail out of all bail outs, Jesus paid the debt that you could not pay off on your own.

Does it really sink into our heads how much he did?

2 Corinthians 5:15  He died for everyone so that those who receive his new life will no longer live for themselves. Instead, they will live for Christ, who died and was raised for them.

If you really comprehend what Jesus did then how in the world can you live to please yourself, how in the world can I demand my own way, I must have so much gratitude for the enormous love that was shown to me that I must choose to live the rest of my life for Jesus Christ. I owe him everything and out of gratitude and thankfulness for what he has done for me I should live for him.

If I truly love him and appreciate what the Lord has done for me then I will not find it unreasonable to obey what he has told me to do. He has already proven that he has my best interest in mind so why wouldn't I listen to what he tells me to do.

Philippians 2:5  You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. 6  Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. 7 Instead, he gave up his divine privileges.

I have a choice to make every day, will I live selfishly and do things my way or will I give up my right to decide for myself what I am going to do. Will I show my love for God my obeying his commands. Jesus said that he was living in obedience to the father so that the world would know that he loved the father. How else will the world know that we love God if we don't listen to what he has to say to us?

Romans 15:3  For even Christ didn't live to please himself.

How extremely selfish we all are when we live for self after what Jesus did for us, he didn't decide to live for himself so what gives me the right to live for my own agenda and my interest?

application

I must live each day in appreciation for the love that God had for me that he would make a way for me to have a relationship with him even though I was not his friend he still cared for me. I must follow his example and live selflessly, obeying his commands and helping others along the way.

Galatians 6:2  Share each others burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. 3  If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important.

prayer

Help me to understand how much you did for me Lord. My gratitude should be seen in my obedience to your commandments.