Thursday, February 05, 2009

What Else Is There?

scripture


Matthew 19:16 Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?” 17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good.

If you want to enter life, obey the commandments.” 18 “Which ones?” the man inquired. Jesus replied, “‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”

20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?” 26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

observation

Here is a man in an enviable position, he is rich in a place that had very few rich people, perhaps in order to be so rich maybe he was doing some type of work for the Roman government. With that much money he must have it all and he claims that he is being a good guy but for some reason hr still has an empty spot inside.

I think that he was looking for something more because it seems that he felt like he was missing something when he asked “what do I still lack?” (Mt 19:20). It is difficult to fill that God spot inside us with anything else, nothing else will fill it.

The man is looking for an answer to his dilemma and he asks Jesus “what is there that I am missing?”, but Jesus gives him an answer that he already knew:

“Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
Jesus answered “If you want to enter life, obey the commandments.”

What a proud man, he already had been trying to keep all the commandments, he seems to me that he was a very good person but he didn't do good with a good heart. Sometimes “good” people are the hardest ones to reach but in this instance Jesus is talking to a good and rich person, he had two traits that can be difficult to set aside in pursuit of what we are looking for.

It doesn't matter what there is between you and eternal life, there is not anything that can keep us away from him if we are truly seeking him.

God can save this man and God can do anything that he wants to do.

application

Don't forget that when you are dealing with God that anything is possible! I will look opportunities to share with a seeker today.

prayer

I thank you Jesus that you gave me eternal life and I didn't have to earn it, you just gave it to me for free.