Friday, December 05, 2008

Instructions On Standing Firm

SCRIPTURE

Philippians 4:1 Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends!

OBSERVATION

I was always taught that when you see a “therefore” in scripture then you should find out what it is “there for.” It is easy to keep reading and miss the point but if we look at the previous verses Paul will tell us “how you should stand firm in the Lord.”

So what did Paul say in the previous verses in chapter 3?

• Rejoice in the Lord!
• Watch out for those dogs, those men who do evil (that would be the false teachers)
• Glory in Christ Jesus, and put no confidence in the flesh (remember where your salvation came from).
• Consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord (that is your attitude check as you travel through this temporary world).
• Press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me (reach out for the things that will last).
• Press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
• Let us live up to what we have already attained (strive to live in accordance to what you have already learned).
• Join with others in following my example,
• Eagerly await a Savior from heaven (if you are anxious about his return then you will live different).

APPLICATION

I need to live this way so that I will stand firm and be ready when Christ returns.

PRAYER

Thank you Jesus for your word, which gives us clear instructions on how to live and to please you. I pray that I will be found eagerly waiting for your return and living to please you.