Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Privileges Of God's Children: Chosen

So unworthy yet God picked me.


1 Peter 2:9-10 But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God's very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for He called you out of the darkness into His wonderful light. 10 Once you had no identity as a people now you are God’s people. Once you received no mercy now you have received God’s mercy.”

John 15:19 The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.

Choosing teams for sports was a very humiliating experience for many people growing up. If you are in the first fifty percent of the class that was picked you were okay but if you were standing there for too long then it started to get embarrassing. As far back as the Old Testament God has had a chosen people, it is clear throughout the Bible that some are picked and some are not, it is a difficult concept for our little heads to understand.

There must have been thousands of people on earth but God chose Abraham, out of Abraham's two sons God chose Issac and out of Issac's two sons God chose Jacob, it had nothing to do with the individual that's just the way God wanted it to be. Even Paul said that he was the least likely person to be picked to be an apostle. (1 Corinthians 15:9)

It doesn't seem fair to us but just because we don't understand doesn't mean it is wrong. God is not to be measured by our understanding of what is just and fair. There are so many things that we do not understand about God and his ways but we do know that he is right and just in every decision that he makes. I am glad that God's wisdom and intellect is so much larger than mine, it makes a problem for me when I insist on trying to be a know it all, still I am glad that God is that big. (Psalm 89:13, Isaiah 55:8, Romans 11:33)

Before Christ came the nation of Israel was God's chosen people but now the body of believers have become a nation of chosen people, regardless of race or ethnic background, we have become members of God's kingdom. We are the kingdom of people that have been saved from the kingdom of darkness and now we have a new home which we haven't seen yet. (Exodus 19:4-6, Colossians 1:13)

God's chosen people should look like God

Colossians 3:12-14,17 Since God chose you to be the holy people He loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. 13 Make allowance for each others faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. 14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. 17 And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
All of the blessings and privileges that have been given to such an unworthy person that God chose for himself should have an effect on me and cause me to live for him. If I am truly grateful for God's mercy that I have received then I should be willing to show others the goodness of God. His goodness toward me showed me how to love, how to be merciful and humble and I should be willing to do the same for those around me.

I praise you Lord that you chose to save me, that you gave me a clear picture of how depraved that I am and that you gave me the ability to believe in faith that you love me and died to redeem me.