Wednesday, September 05, 2012

America At The Cross Roads

This election will prove which path America wants to take, will we take the Godly path?


Jeremiah 2:5-6,11 This is what the Lord says: "What did your ancestors find wrong with me that led them to stray so far from me? They worshiped worthless idols, only to become worthless themselves. 6 They did not ask, ‘Where is the Lord?'

11 Has any nation ever traded its gods for new ones, even though they are not gods at all? Yet my people have exchanged their glorious God for worthless idols!

Jeremiah 6:16 This is what the Lord says: “Stop at the crossroads and look around. Ask for the old, godly way, and walk in it. Travel its path, and you will find rest for your souls. But you reply, ‘No, that’s not the road we want!’

Jeremiah 8:4-5  “Jeremiah, say to the people, ‘This is what the Lord says: “‘When people fall down, don’t they get up again? When they discover they’re on the wrong road, don’t they turn back? 5 Then why do these people stay on their self-destructive path? Why do the people of Jerusalem refuse to turn back? They cling tightly to their lies and will not turn around.

Choices, they are so important, each election that we have is an opportunity for good choices and for bad choices.

God's people have been known to make good choices and then quickly turn away, the earliest leaders of the nation of Israel warned them that their choices had huge consequences, advice that they took for a short while. Moses told the people that they had a"choice between life and death, between blessings and curses" (Deuteronomy 30:19-20) and later Joshua told the people to make up their mind (Joshua 24:14-21). It wasn't long before they turned against what they had decided and went their own way.

Just like the people of Israel, America has made bad choices, we have pushed God out of our lives, out of our government and even out of our churches. We have decided that the size of our wallets and the pursuit of our own desires is more important than the timeless truths of God's word. Are we going to live by God's moral standards? That is the issue that will be decided with this election.
"People wonder whether guys like me... would only support a fellow evangelical? Well, friends, I want to tell you something. Of the four people on the two tickets, the only self-professed evangelical is Barack Obama. And he supports changing the definition of marriage. Believes that human life is disposable and expendable at any time in the womb, even beyond the womb. And he tells people of faith that they have to bow their knees to the god of government and violate their faith and conscience in order to comply with what he calls, health care... I care far less as to where Mitt Romney takes his family to church than I do about where he takes this country."
- Mike Huckabee
I wish that Mitt Romney were a Christian and I wish that Barack Obama were a better Christian if he is one. No matter what errors I see in each man's faith and belief system, I need to be sure that I vote for the man that will lead America back toward the Godly path that this nation started down. I am responsible to to be a good influence on the culture that I live in.

We will never have the perfect Godly man to vote for, after-all they are mere humans, I have to look past their flaws and vote for someone that will take us closer to God's standards. I need a man in the White House that can say:
"As President, I will protect the sanctity of life. I will honor the institution of marriage. And I will guarantee America's first liberty: the freedom of religion."
Can your candidate say that?

Our choices for this election are just as clear as the choices that the Israelites had during the time of the Old Testament. I pray that we make the right one.