Thursday, September 29, 2011

Be Ready For The Sower

Let God's word take root in your life.


Luke 8:4-8, 11-15  While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from town after town, he told this parable:

5 “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds ate it up.

6 Some fell on rocky ground, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture.

7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants.

8 Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.”

11 “This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13 Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. 14 The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. 15 But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

The Sower cast his seed, he doesn't judge the soil conditions, without any discrimination he throws the seed out. The sower hopes to find good soil but some of the seed falls on the path, some of it falls on rocky ground, or in the middle of a patch of thorns. 

The Sower knows that the landing determines how successful the seed is, pretty easy to understand, good soil will allow a good, healthy seedling to appear. The way to achieve this, according to Jesus, is to have a good heart. Remember the lesson that Jesus taught in Luke chapter six about the good tree with the good fruit? (Luke 6:43-45) That big tree with all of that good fruit started with a seed that landed in good soil.

It is my responsibility to take care of the condition of my soil. The Sower isn't going to force me to have good soil, I have to get the thorn bushes and the rocks out of my life. I have to protect my soil and keep people from trampling on it so that the seed will take root. l must determine that I will be humble, teachable and obedient.

Psalms 119:11  I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Help me Lord to be ready for the seed that you plant in my heart.

You might like to read:
Keep My Commandments  //  What's In Your Heart?  //  Resolve To Read The Bible