Wednesday, August 10, 2011

It's Not Fair

We love it when unfair works for our good.



Matthew 20:9-15  “When those who were hired about five came, they each received one denarius. 10 So when the first ones came, they assumed they would get more, but they also received a denarius each. 11 When they received it, they began to complain to the landowner: 12 ‘These last men put in one hour, and you made them equal to us who bore the burden of the day and the burning heat!’

13 “He replied to one of them, ‘Friend, I’m doing you no wrong. Didn’t you agree with me on a denarius? 14 Take what’s yours and go. I want to give this last man the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my business? Are you jealous because I’m generous?’

Habakkuk 3:17-18  Though the fig tree does not bud and there is no fruit on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, 18 yet I will triumph in Yahweh; I will rejoice in the God of my salvation! 

The day laborers that were hired at the beginning of the day were happy that they had work that day, a day laborer wakes up each morning and hopes that he will be able to make some money to pay his bills and feed his family. In his world they often say to each other "the early bird gets the worm."

Maybe the late guys slept in or maybe the farmer underestimated how much help he would need, either way the odds were against the late guys, there wasn't any guarantee that they would be hired and even if they did they probably wouldn't get much, or would they?

Our God is full of generosity (James 1:17) and grace, he says that all of us are equal in his eyes, he has given us something for nothing, he is the ultimate gift giver. He has given us so many gifts: life (James 4:14, Psalm 90:9-10 ), salvation to all of us with no regard for how good we are (Romans 6:23, Ephesians 2:8-9) The question we should ask is "why has God given me anything?" He has given me way more than I should have received from him, why God even gave me life is a mystery.

Psalm 103:10  He has not dealt with us as our sins deserve or repaid us according to our offenses.

The only one that has the right to say that it's not fair is God but thankfully he doesn't seek to get revenge for all of the wrongs that we have committed against him, instead he is the ultimate example of generosity and grace, what right do I have to argue with him about what isn't fair?

Lord help me to look past insisting on justice, I should seek to be content despite my circumstances and rejoice in your goodness.