Monday, June 27, 2011

On A Mission Trip With An Attitude

Men of the Bible Series - Jonah didn't like the results of his mission trip.


Jonah 4:1-12  This change of plans greatly upset Jonah, and he became very angry.

2 So he complained to the Lord about it: “Didn’t I say before I left home that you would do this, Lord?

That is why I ran away to Tarshish! I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people.

3 Just kill me now, Lord! I’d rather be dead than alive if what I predicted will not happen.”

4 The Lord replied, “Is it right for you to be angry about this?”   >> Read more...

They didn't have big tents back then, but whatever methods that Jonah used when he arrived in Nineveh it was effective and he got amazing results. All of the people reacted to his message and got right with God, it's a pastors dream come true, or was it?

Jonah knew how God operates, he knew that the people of Nineveh could be drawn back to the Lord and that he would forgive them and when they did Jonah said to God "I told you so." There is an attitude problem here, instead of being pleased that God used him to bring revival, Jonah wanted to see God's judgment poured out.

As if showing mercy were an imperfection of the Divine nature, which is the greatest glory of it. It is to his sparing, pardoning mercy, we all owe it that we are out of hell.
-Matthew Henry Commentary

God received the glory despite Jonah and his sorry attitude, if he had to go to Nineveh then he wanted it to be for a good cause, and as he saw it their destruction was a good thing. The number one motivation for participating on a mission trip should be love, we have to see past the sin and look at the person, Jonah didn't love the people of Nineveh.

I have to remember that I have enjoyed the benefits of God's love and mercy and I have to be willing to pass it on to others, if God desires to show mercy then I need to show mercy and rejoice, after all I didn't do anything to obtain enough status that I should reap the benefits of God's mercy.

Help me to see the world through your eyes Lord.

You might like to read: Men of the Bible blog series.