Monday, September 27, 2010

Beware of Covetousness

How do you keep score?


Luke 12:13-21  Then someone called from the crowd, "Teacher, please tell my brother to divide our father's estate with me."  14  Jesus replied, "Friend, who made Me a judge over you to decide such things as that?"

15  Then He said, "Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own."  16  Then He told them a story: "A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops.  17   He said to himself, 'What should I do? I don't have room for all my crops.'

18  Then he said, 'I know! I'll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I'll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods.  19  And I'll sit back and say to myself, "My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!"' 

20  "But God said to him, 'You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?'  21  "Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God."

The American way to is grab everything that you can get, the "whoever dies with the most toys wins" mentality is how we are taught to measure our lives. I would have never guessed it but they must of had the same mentality back in Israel even with all the poverty around. 

Jesus was busy teaching his disciples when from out of nowhere a guy that is being cheated by his older brother yells out a request for justice. Jesus refused to become a civil judge, he could have easily become weighed down with the burden of settling disputes just like Moses had been back in Exodus 18:13.

The rewards of being a disciple of Jesus does not include the happiness and comfort of this age, it does not guarantee justice in legal matters, the accumulation of wealth isn't the goal of somebody that has a rich relationship with God. To become a Godly person and to be satisfied with the amount of earthly riches that come my way is the way for a true Christ follower to live.

 1 Timothy 6:6-8  Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth.  7  After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can't take anything with us when we leave it.  8  So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.

Help me to focus my energy on the life that you want me to live Lord. The world is full of concern for the things that you do not want your children to be worried about.

You might like to read: Commands of Jesus blog series.