Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fit For Service

Live out God's will, no matter what you have to leave behind.


Luke 9:61-62  Another said, "Yes, Lord, I will follow You, but first let me say good-bye to my family."  62  But Jesus told him, "Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God."

There is nothing more urgent that following Jesus, everything else should be as garbage in comparison, that sounds like Paul when he told the Philippians:

"Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ" (Phi 3:8).

There are a lot of things that man has devised that are designed to use up all of our time and resources, we have to be careful that we do not have a reason to walk away from the mission, there has to be a total commitment to the call. Jesus life was our example of what a life of commitment looks like, everything that he said and did everyday was focused on his mission.

I must be loyal to the mission that Jesus has called me to, if my faith is in him alone then I shouldn't have a problem with scheduling everything else around my call to serve instead of scheduling my call to serve around all the stuff that the world says that I need to participate in.

James 1:6-8  Be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind.  7  Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.  8  Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.

Thank you Lord for desiring to use me and for giving me the strength to do the work that you have called me to (1Tim 1:12). Help me to put your agenda ahead of the many agendas that the world has to throw at us.