Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Take My Yoke

Are you beat down and tired?


 Matthew 11:28-30  Then Jesus said, "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.

29  Take My yoke upon you. Let Me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  30  For My yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."

Wait a minute! I am already tired and worn out and instead of taking it easy you want me to trade my burden in for a new one. And you say that I will find rest by taking up this new burden. Yes, that is the offer that Jesus wants you to take.

The yoke of the world

Galatians 4:3  And that's the way it was with us before Christ came. We were like children; we were slaves to the basic spiritual principles of this world.

The world doesn't have much to offer to you but it is still enticing to hold on to the bondage that it brings. The guilt and shame, the worthless pursuit of fame and fortune are all a heavy burden that needs to be unloaded.

The yoke of the cross

Luke 9:23  Then He said to the crowd, "If any of you wants to be My follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow Me.

There is freedom in Christ but there is also responsibility. Jesus said that we are to take up the burden that he has for us, the cross that we are to bear each day, and be his followers. We are to be the workers in the field, the Good Samaritans and the sowers of the gospel seed.

There is a lot of work left to be done Lord, but we know that you will empower your people to do the work. Thank you for finding me trustworthy and for giving me the strength to serve you. (1Timothy 1:12)

You might like to read: Commands of Jesus blog series