Monday, September 12, 2011

God's Word Is The Best Heart Cleaner

The man that knew God's heart was into God's word.


Psalm 119:9-16, 140-141  How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping Your word.

10 I have sought You with all my heart;don’t let me wander from Your commands.11 I have treasured Your word in my heart so that I may not sin against You.

12 Lord, may You be praised; teach me Your statutes. 13 With my lips I proclaim all the judgments from Your mouth. 14 I rejoice in the way revealed by Your decrees as much as in all riches. 15 I will meditate on Your precepts and think about Your ways. 16 I will delight in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.

140 Your word is completely pure, and Your servant loves it. 141 I am insignificant and despised, but I do not forget Your precepts.

My previous post asked the question "What's in Your Heart?" Today I am looking at another question, it is David's question, "How can a young man keep his way pure?" or it could be stated "How can I keep my heart clean?"

David's question is a good one for us today. The question assumes that we can please God, we can live a clean life and who better to tell us about it than the guy that is said that he is a man after God's heart, a man that got it right most of the time. (1 Samuel 13:14, 1 Kings 15:5, Acts 13:22)

David tells us that if we want to keep our heart clean and please God then we need to be "keeping your word" David went a step further and said that he was seeking God wholeheartedly, it was an intense and deliberate action, his day had time set aside for God's word.

David knew that he needed God's help, David had been to the bottom morally and spiritually and yet God restored him and blessed him. David learned the hard way that God's way was the best way and the best way to know God's way is by staying in the Word and putting it into your heart.

I need to learn from David that I can do things my way or I can deliberately seek out God's way and live according to his Word. Help me Lord to keep on "digging the word" so that I will know your ways.

2 Samuel 22:31 God —His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is pure. He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.