Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fluctuating Faith Levels

Don't feel so bad if your faith meter isn't always maxed out.


Genesis 22:1-5  Some time later, God tested Abraham's faith. "Abraham!" God called. "Yes," he replied. "Here I am."

2 "Take your son, your only son—yes, Isaac, whom you love so much—and go to the land of Moriah. Go and sacrifice him as a burnt offering on one of the mountains, which I will show you." 

3 The next morning Abraham got up early. He saddled his donkey and took two of his servants with him, along with his son, Isaac. Then he chopped wood for a fire for a burnt offering and set out for the place God had told him about. 4 On the third day of their journey, Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance. 

5 "Stay here with the donkey," Abraham told the servants. "The boy and I will travel a little farther. We will worship there, and then we will come right back."

Wouldn't it be awesome to live with such a high degree of faith at all times? But who could even think of being as full of faith as Abraham was at the moment that he raised the knife to sacrifice his son?

We like to think of the successful faith stories of Abraham but you don't have to look too far to see his faith go fickle. His faith wavered many times, when he met kings that he thought may want to take his wife, when there was a delay in providing him with an heir and I am sure that there were many other day to day situations were his faith was found to be lacking.

Psalm 107:1  Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.

God used Abraham despite his fluctuating faith and I know that he can use all of us even if we have faith the size of a mustard seed. I will waver in my faith for as long as I am here on earth, but God can still use me to do his work. It is wise to stay in the word everyday so that my faith can grow and get stronger everyday.

You are an awesome God who is always faithful, I am so thankful that you are faithful to me despite my failures.