Monday, May 17, 2010

Blessed

One of the characteristics of a disciple is the fact that he is blessed.


Matthew 5:1-3  One day as He saw the crowds gathering, Jesus went up on the mountainside and sat down. His disciples gathered around Him, and He began to teach them. "God blesses those...

1Chronicles 4:10   Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request.

Psalms 146:5  Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God,

Everybody wants to have blessings come their way but not everyone wants to live a life that God can bless. the world's definition of being blessed has the connotation that we get something for nothing but the Bible shows us that we obtain God's blessing by relying on the Lord and through obedience.

It is amazing to me that the Lord, after everything that he has already done for us, would listen to our petitions and entertain our request for even more blessings. It reminds me that when I bring a request I need to focus more on how thankful I am for how well the Lord has already treated me instead of focusing on my shopping list.

I am a blessed man Lord! Thank you for my wife and kids, thank you for giving me the opportunity to work with you in my local church until the day that you call me home.