Friday, January 15, 2016

Choose Life

Jesus warns us to choose wisely in order to avoid disaster.


Matthew 7:13-14  "You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way.  14  But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.

Matthew 7:24-27  “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.  25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock.  26 But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand.  27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.”

At the end of the Sermon on the Mount Jesus made it clear that we have to choose wisely in order to avoid disaster. We have to choose between two gates, two roads, two destinations, and be sure that we are with the right group of people. (Matthew 7:13-14)

The gate that leads to life is very narrow, there are plenty of alternative routes but they are all going to the wrong place, Jesus tells us that he is the only path to God. (Matthew 7:15-16)

There are false teachers that will try and tell you that the path to God isn't narrow, it is cruel for them to say things that are not true, the consequences for accepting their teaching is so severe. The fruit that they produce is the best and most obvious way to discern who to listen to.

Once you know which teacher to listen to you need to be diligent in applying the truth to your life. It would be foolish to know that your teacher is not a false teacher and then ignore their instructions. The wise student will apply God's word to their life so that they can survive the storms that will certainly come their way. (Matthew 7:24-27)

I need to make the choices that lead to life with Jesus for eternity. There are very important choices to make everyday, the world is full of lies, the voices of the false teachers are constantly speaking to us. I need to discern which teacher I listen to so that I will not leave the straight and narrow because of their terrible advice.
Jeremiah 6:16-19  This is what the LORD says: "Stop at the crossroads and look around. Ask for the old, godly way, and walk in it. Travel its path, and you will find rest for your souls. But you reply, 'No, that's not the road we want!'   

17  I posted watchmen over you who said, 'Listen for the sound of the alarm.' But you replied, 'No! We won't pay attention!'  18  "Therefore, listen to this, all you nations. Take note of My people's situation.  19  Listen, all the earth!

I will bring disaster on My people. It is the fruit of their own schemes, because they refuse to listen to Me. They have rejected My word.
I need to put apply God's word to my life so that I can avoid ruin and I should be a voice that speaks the truth to the people around me. I should help them to see the narrow road and the amazing destination that it will take them to.

Thank you Lord for your warning to your children to avoid Satan and his people that want to deceive us. Help me to always look to truth and wisdom to direct my paths.