Monday, July 23, 2012

God's People Are Blessed

We should never take God's blessings in our life for granted.


Genesis 28:15 What's more, I am with you, and I will protect you wherever you go. One day I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have finished giving you everything I have promised you."

Genesis 28:20-22 Then Jacob made this vow: "If God will indeed be with me and protect me on this journey, and if He will provide me with food and clothing, 21 and if I return safely to my father's home, then the LORD will certainly be my God. 22 And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of everything He gives me."

Genesis 35:1-3 Then God said to Jacob, "Get ready and move to Bethel and settle there. Build an altar there to the God who appeared to you when you fled from your brother, Esau." 2 So Jacob told everyone in his household, "Get rid of all your pagan idols, purify yourselves, and put on clean clothing. 3 We are now going to Bethel, where I will build an altar to the God who answered my prayers when I was in distress. He has been with me wherever I have gone."

Jacob was in big trouble with his brother Esau and had to leave the security of his home, it was another battle between brothers, it reminds me of Cain and Abel. In both stories there was one brother that was accepted as better than the other, one brother tried to please God and the other brother decided to hate him for it instead of changing their ways so that God would accept him too.

Esau wasn't living a lifestyle that was deserving of God's blessing, a couple of things that the Bible mentions that he did that displeased God were the day that he sold his birthright for some lunch and his marriages to Hittite women. (Genesis 25:27-34, 26:34-35, 27:46)

Jacob wasn't perfect, in these verses from Genesis he was on the run after tricking his brother, he was scared and his mom told him that he needed to get out of town. In the midst of Jacob's fear God shows up with a message of protection and a promise of prosperity. God told Jacob that he would be a part of the covenant that he had made with Abraham and Isaac. (Genesis 28:10-19)

Even though Jacob had the promise from God he still has his doubts and worried about God's protection but no matter the situation God was still there living up to his end of the promise that he had made. Jacob went through some trials and difficulties but ultimately he was very successful and had great wealth. The Lord had blessed Jacob just like he promised and now it was time for Jacob to remember his promise and go back to Bethel to worship God.

Which will you choose?

Deuteronomy 11:L26-28 “Look, today I am giving you the choice between a blessing and a curse! 27 You will be blessed if you obey the commands of the Lord your God that I am giving you today. 28 But you will be cursed if you reject the commands of the Lord your God and turn away from him and worship gods you have not known before.
Jacob lived a lifestyle that was "blessable," he made his share of poor choices but ultimately his heart was right for God to use. God blesses the people that he is pleased with, the people that honor and worship him, those that don't make the right choice will be cursed.

I need to be careful to always be aware of the source of every blessing that I have, thank you Lord for my faith, my family and for providing for my needs.