Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Golden Rule - 40 Days Of Love

Why don't I treat people better?


Matthew 7:12  “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.

Luke 6:35-36  “Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to those who are unthankful and wicked. You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate.

Few of us can be accused of being too kind to the people that we encounter everyday. In this dog eat dog selfish world we live in there isn't hardly anybody that will have to defend themselves for treating people too good.

Think for a moment about our example. Take a look at how God treats people, his sacrificial love gave us much better teatment than we could earn, thats the way he wants us to treat those around us. (Luke 6:36)

We tend to make our own rules about how to love:
  • Whatever you do for me, that's what I will do for you. You scratch my back and i will scratch yours.
  • However I have been treated by others affects the way that I treat you.
  • I act like I am doing it for you but its really all about me
Luke 6:35 tells us that God is loving to everyone, even to the "unthankful and wicked." If he could do it for me then I need to do the same for those that I meet each day.

Help me Lord to remember that it is always my turn to meet somebodies needs. Help me to forget about what I think that I deserve and help me to love with sacrifice.