Thursday, July 22, 2010

Keep Your Word

Even if it hurts.


Matthew 5:37  Just say a simple, 'Yes, I will,' or 'No, I won't.' Anything beyond this is from the evil one.

2 Corinthians 1:17-20  You may be asking why I changed my plan. Do you think I make my plans carelessly? Do you think I am like people of the world who say "Yes" when they really mean "No"?  18  As surely as God is faithful, my word to you does not waver between "Yes" and "No." 

19  For Jesus Christ, the Son of God, does not waver between "Yes" and "No." He is the One whom Silas, Timothy, and I preached to you, and as God's ultimate "Yes," He always does what He says.  20  For all of God's promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding "Yes!" And through Christ, our "Amen" (which means "Yes") ascends to God for His glory.

A promise doesn't mean much these days, it used to be that a man lived up to his word at any cost but these days if the cost or the inconvenience is too great then you will have to wonder if he will come through.

What a difference it would make if Jesus didn't keep his word, he promised us that he was going to die and rise again and he kept his promise, that gives me the confidence to believe that he will keep his word and return for me someday.

I need to be careful when I make a promise, it doesn't help my witness if I don't follow through, living with integrity can be inconvenient some times.

Help me Lord to be wise when I make promises to you or to those around me.