Friday, July 16, 2010

Honor God's Law

His way is best


Matthew 5:17-20  "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.  18  I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God's law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.

19  So if you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But anyone who obeys God's laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.  20  "But I warn you--unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!

Jesus makes it perfectly clear that his reason for coming to earth was not to get rid of the law, rather he was here to accomplish the purpose of the law (Romans 10:4, Galatians 3:24). We have been made right with God through mercy and grace on God's part but that is not a good excuse for getting rid of God's commands to his people.

After all that Christ has done for me it would be ridiculous for me to live my life for myself. I need to live to satisfy and please him by being obedient to his commands, if I am disobedient to him and choose what pleases me then their wouldn't be any proof that I love him, there wouldn't be any way for somebody to tell that I agree with God that my old way of living is wrong.

James 1:22-25  But don't just listen to God's word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.

I must hold up God's commands in the highest of regards. Sitting through the preaching on Sunday morning and listening to my small group leader or Sunday school teacher is wonderful but it doesn't have any value if I do not apply God's rules to my life.

Help me Lord to always view your commands as a tool to keep me from danger, I want to dig into your word and be obedient.