Saturday, July 24, 2010

Go The Second Mile

What better way to display your love?


 Matthew 5:39-41  But I say, do not resist an evil person! If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also.  40  If you are sued in court and your shirt is taken from you, give your coat, too.  41  If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles.

Romans 12:20-21  Instead, "If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals of shame on their heads."  21  Don't let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.

My God is a "go the second mile" kind of God, the entire content of the Bible shows us that this is true, God is consistently throughout scripture going the second mile. From the book of Genesis to the book of Revelations God is making every effort to make a relationship with his creation.

Romans 12:9-10  Don't just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good.  10  Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other.

 I need to follow the example of my creator, he went the extra mile to make a relationship with me, he showed greater patience, compassion and has blessed me far more than I deserve. There is no way that I can show the world what love is without going the second mile, no they don't deserve it and they definitely don't expect it in the selfish world that we live in, but that is what it takes to point people to Christ.

 Thank you Jesus for going the second mile for me, help me to sacrifice my time and the inconvenience to point people to you by doing a little more.