Wednesday, March 03, 2010

God Does It And I Should Too

Slow to anger, quick to forgive


Psalm 30:5 For His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning.

Psalms 103:8-10 The LORD is compassionate and merciful, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. 9 He will not constantly accuse us, nor remain angry forever. 10 He does not punish us for all our sins; He does not deal harshly with us, as we deserve.

My God is an emotional being and one of those emotions is anger, God has been wronged more than any of us, and he has every right to be angry but instead of keeping score he shows us a better way.

God is slow to anger and his anger last for a brief time, look at his patience with people throughout the Bible and through all of time. God's first reaction is to show compassion and mercy, he deals with us in kindness that is undeserved, and when he does get angry it is for our own good. So many times we decide that we are going to stay mad and we are certainly not going to show any love to the person that has hurt us, but God has set an example that we must follow, if he can forgive for the huge things that we have done then certainly we need to forgive for the little things that happen to us.

Even with all the wrong that I have done my God deals with me with compassion and mercy, I deserve to be treated harshly but God shows me a better way, his anger last for only a moment and then it is gone.

Thank you Lord for the gift of forgiveness, it is a gift that needs to be regifted to those around me, help me to give it out generously.