Saturday, February 13, 2010

Who Is Going To Be Denied?

A decision we all make.



Matthew 26:31-35 On the way, Jesus told them,

"Tonight all of you will desert Me. For the Scriptures say, 'God will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' 32 But after I have been raised from the dead, I will go ahead of you to Galilee and meet you there."

33 Peter declared, "Even if everyone else deserts You, I will never desert You." 34 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, Peter--this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know Me." 35 "No!" Peter insisted. "Even if I have to die with You, I will never deny You!" And all the other disciples vowed the same.

Mat 26:75 Suddenly, Jesus' words flashed through Peter's mind: "Before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know Me." And he went away, weeping bitterly.

Mark 8:34 And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

You may not know it but we are constantly making a choice, almost every situation that comes our way demands that we make a choice, deny myself and quit looking out for my rights or live for self and deny Jesus.

To deny Jesus implies:

that I am contradicting him, that I am in opposition to his teaching.

that I refuse to acknowledge him and his claims that he is the Promised Messiah.

that I reject him as Lord of my life, refusing to be his subject or slave.

that I am forsaking my sin nature and its wisdom and putting on the mind of Christ.
To deny myself says:

that I need to forbid myself from participating in some of the "pleasures" that this world has to offer.

that I will refuse to put myself in charge and that I will choose to give him control.

that I am willing to take up my cross and sacrifice myself, Jesus sacrificed himself for us when we didn't even love him, surely those of us that love him should be able to deny ourselves and follow his example and teaching.

I must choose every hour of every day who I am going to deny and who I am going to acknowledge as the Lord of my life. I need to choose to take up my cross and follow him all the time.

Help me Lord to deny my old sin nature and give you full control of my life.