Friday, January 22, 2010

Bad Things Happen, What Are You Going To Do?

My attitude when things go wrong.


Genesis 44:9-17 If you find his cup with any one of us, let that man die. And all the rest of us, my lord, will be your slaves." 10 "That's fair," the man replied. "But only the one who stole the cup will be my slave. The rest of you may go free."

11 They all quickly took their sacks from the backs of their donkeys and opened them. 12 The palace manager searched the brothers' sacks, from the oldest to the youngest. And the cup was found in Benjamin's sack! 13 When the brothers saw this, they tore their clothing in despair. Then they loaded their donkeys again and returned to the city.

14 Joseph was still in his palace when Judah and his brothers arrived, and they fell to the ground before him. 15 "What have you done?" Joseph demanded. "Don't you know that a man like me can predict the future?" 16 Judah answered, "Oh, my lord, what can we say to you? How can we explain this? How can we prove our innocence? God is punishing us for our sins. My lord, we have all returned to be your slaves--all of us, not just our brother who had your cup in his sack." 17 "No," Joseph said. "I would never do such a thing! Only the man who stole the cup will be my slave. The rest of you may go back to your father in peace."

The second trip to Egypt is proving to be just as much trouble as the first trip. The first time around they had to leave Simeon behind in jail, there is no telling how long they left him there while the rest of the family is at home enjoying the food that had been purchased in Egypt.

Benjamin's sack has the silver cup that belongs to Joseph, maybe Joseph is using this opportunity to test his brothers, will they stand up and protect Benjamin or sell him out like they did to Joseph. After all Benjamin was the new favorite son since Joseph had been presumed dead.

Notice the attitudes, Joseph's attitude and the brothers attitudes.

Joseph's brothers were determined to protect their younger brother at any cost, they seemed to be repentant for the harm that they had done to Joseph and didn't want to treat Benjamin the same way.

Joseph's attitude was not anger or resentment but instead he looked to the greater good that came out of the trouble that he went through.

When I am wronged I need to see beyond the offense and focus on how God can use my troubles for good.

Lord I pray that you will help me to see that even when life gets tough, you are still at work for my good. Thank you for using me and for using the difficulties that I have been through.