Sunday, November 08, 2009

What’s The Difference?

Do you look like God's kid?


1 Peter 3:8-17  Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude. 9  Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it.

10,11  For the Scriptures say:

"If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, Keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it.

12  The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right, and his ears are open to their prayers. But the Lord turns his face against those who do evil."

13  Now, who will want to harm you if you are eager to do good?

14  But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don't worry or be afraid of their threats. 15  Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it. 16  But do this in a gentle and respectful way. Keep your conscience clear. Then if people speak against you, they will be ashamed when they see what a good life you live because you belong to Christ.

17  Remember, it is better to suffer for doing good, if that is what God wants, than to suffer for doing wrong!

Sometimes when I miss an opportunity to say something that will open up a conversation about Jesus, it is easy to say that my live is a testimony and that the way that I live is showing people the gospel, but is it really doing that? Do they seem amazed or say "Wow!"

This scripture gives us a great list of qualities that we are supposed to have incorporated into our lives, but I am wondering just how well we are doing, are we really looking much different than the rest of the world?

Verses one and fifteen talk about the way that I live should be so different that unbelievers should be aware that something is different in my lifestyle, my way of life should speak up for me, and they should be curious enough to ask me why I live this way. The fact that nobody is asking me why I am different makes me wonder if I am really living for God in the world in a way that causes me to stand out or am I just another nice guy.

I need to live so that people will see my good life and they will be able to tell it is because I belong to Jesus (verse 16).

Help us to be serious about living for you Lord. Help us to realize that we can talk the gospel all we want but if we don't look different from the rest of the world then they won't see any value in having a relationship with you.