Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What Were You Thinking?

The only way to know what God thinks about it is to get in his Word.


Psalms 119:97-106 Oh, how I love your instructions! I think about them all day long.

Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are my constant guide.

Yes, I have more insight than my teachers, for I am always thinking of your laws.

I am even wiser than my elders, for I have kept your commandments.

I have refused to walk on any evil path, so that I may remain obedient to your word. I haven't turned away from your regulations, for you have taught me well.

How sweet your words taste to me; they are sweeter than honey.

Your commandments give me understanding; no wonder I hate every false way of life. Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.

I've promised it once, and I'll promise it again: I will obey your righteous regulations.

Many people do not see the importance of God's word for their daily life, showing up occasionally on a Sunday morning and listening to the pastor read the Bible should be enough, they feel like they know the basics of what is in that big book and that should be enough.

God gave us his word so that it would shape our thinking and our perspective, there are many theologies and teachings that compete to shape our worldview, and we have to decide for ourselves what we are going to accept as truth.

If you accept the world's point of view you will be duped into believing that there is no God or if there is a God he doesn't have any interest in my life. You may accept for truth that there are many ways to get to God in the afterlife after all aren't all these religions all providing a different path to the same place.

The only way to know God’s will and to have wisdom and understanding is through a love for God’s word. Loving his word will bring about a desire to study his word and have it transform our thinking into a manner that is consistent with his way, your desires and behavior will change, you will have wisdom, and a light for your path.

My attitudes and actions ultimately spring from my view of the world and what I think about God. I need the truth that is contained in his word to shape my thinking and then I will know God’s will.

Help me to hunger for your word everyday Lord, I don’t want to have my mind shaped by the lies that this world has to offer, I want the wisdom that comes from you to guide my feet and light my path.