Saturday, August 15, 2009

Humble Pie

A pie that most of us could do without.


John 21:15 After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," Peter replied, "you know I love you." "Then feed my lambs," Jesus told him.

16 Jesus repeated the question: "Simon son of John, do you love me?" "Yes, Lord," Peter said, "you know I love you." "Then take care of my sheep," Jesus said.

17 A third time he asked him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, "Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you." Jesus said, "Then feed my sheep.

Peter was always a man of action and right now he is tired of sitting around inside the house feeling sorry for himself. Peter decided that he was going fishing and the rest of the disciples joined in for an all night fishing trip that must have been miserable since they didn't catch a single fish.

Jesus got their attention and told them what to do to get fish and their obedience paid off, sounds like the same thing that happened on another night and just like that other night this time their nets were maxed out.
How awesome it would have been to have breakfast with Jesus, I am sure that the fact that these guys were up all night didn't matter to any of them, nobody said a thing about wanting to get home and jump in between the sheets, the rest of the world would have to wait while they ate breakfast with Jesus.

I guess it would be very awkward for Peter to sit around the breakfast table and wonder how the Lord felt about him after his denial, Peter fell short of his good intentions and his plans to be committed to Jesus no matter what may happen. Jesus knew what Peter needed and after they finished eating he turned to Peter and asked him if he loved him, Peter must have been scared and wondered if Jesus really thought that he didn't love him.

Peter was a lot more careful in announcing how much that he loved Jesus, he didn't brag this time about how dependable he would be, after all he had blown it big time the night that Jesus was arrested. Humble pie can be breakfast food.

We need to remember the sad situation we are in, Paul called it a war within his body that although he had good intentions he wasn't always able to follow through and do the right thing:

Romans 7: 14 So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. 15 I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate.

21 I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. 22 I love God's law with all my heart. 23 But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 24 Oh, what a miserable person I am!

Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? 25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

I must strive each day to maintain a close relationship with my Savior, Peter walked this earth with Jesus for three years and the battle with sin still worked within his mind and he chose to deny Christ, we all must stay humble on our spiritual journey.

Thank you Lord for breaking the power of sin and for being my sacrifice for my sin. Help me to depend on you each day of my spiritual journey instead of relying on my own strength.