Thursday, July 30, 2009

Good News and Bad News

Easy street
scripture

John 16:33 “Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”

observation

Jesus says that he has some good news and some bad news, first here’s the bad news:

Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows

Jesus didn’t promise us our “best life now” just take a look at a few examples:
  • John the Baptist- beheaded,
  • Stephen- stoned to death,
  • Paul- stoned just short of death,
  • James the son of Zebedee- beheaded,
  • Philip- crucified.

I have the freedom, so far, to believe and share my belief with anyone without fear of physical harm, but in many places the church is persecuted everyday. Still there is plenty of suffering in our country too, all around people are hurting physically and emotionally, everyone is looking for peace in all the chaos.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

Now don’t let the bad news get you down, let’s move on to the good news:
But take heart, because I have overcome the world
1 John 5:4-5 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

Despite all the trials and sorrows that Jesus told us that we would have to go through, ultimately this world is not the end for us and a better day is coming, just knowing that we have hope in Christ is all the encouragement that we should ever need to live above our circumstances here.

application

I need to count my blessings! It is necessary to remember that Jesus over came the world and we will too. When it is tempting to allow circumstances to get me down I must remember that I have an awesome life and I have been blessed way beyond what I deserve.

prayer 

Thank you for the hope that we have in you Lord.