Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Advocates

scripture


John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.

John 14:26 But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.

John 16:5 “But now I am going away to the One who sent me, and not one of you is asking where I am going. 6 Instead, you grieve because of what I’ve told you. 7 But in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don’t, the Advocate won’t come. If I do go away, then I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will convict the world of its sin, and of God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment. 9 The world’s sin is that it refuses to believe in me.

observation

Advocate \ad-və-kət, -kāt\ n 1: one that pleads the cause of another ; specifically : one that pleads the cause of another before a tribunal or judicial court 2: one that defends or maintains a cause or proposal 3: one that supports or promotes the interests of another.

If you have ever been to court then you have a great picture of what Jesus is talking about when he mentions having an Advocate. Did you know that you have a representative that stands before God and speaks on your behalf? Actually we all have two of them. Jesus mentions that the Holy Spirit is your Advocate and according to 1John 2:1 you also have another Advocate:

My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous.Jesus died as the payment of the debt of our sin and stands before God and says to God that sin is covered, I paid for that, what an awesome Savior that we have.

Our other Advocate is the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit begins his work by pointing us to God for forgiveness of our sins (John 16:8) but he isn’t finished when you become a Christ follower in fact that is when his work is just getting started. He is an Advocate that will always be with us (John 14:16). He will be there to lead us into truth, he will teach us and he will remind us of the things that Jesus already taught us (John 14:26).

application

I have help to get me through this journey, thankfully I don’t have to rely on my own wisdom but instead I have the Holy Spirit to guide me.

prayer

Thank you Lord for standing before God as my Advocate, and thank you for giving me the Holy Spirit to help me through each day.