Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Don't Sweat The Small Stuff

SCRIPTURE

Matthew 6:25 and 33 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

OBSERVATION

Don’t worry about this world and providing for these temporary needs that we have down here. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?

What do you mean, I have to worry about feeding myself and my family, and these clothes they are almost rags by now. It’s all that I can think about besides paying these taxes to Caesar.

Jesus audience was oppressed by the Roman government and it must have been strange to hear him tell them to change.

Here is what Jesus said that you need to be concerned with:

Seek his kingdom – Matthew gives us a lot of parables that Jesus used to describe the kingdom.

Seek his righteousness - because our righteousness would have to surpass the righteousness of the Pharisees (Matt 5:20)

How do I do that? Jesus just told you in this sermon:

The humble, the pure in heart and those that are persecuted for righteousness, these people are going to be in the kingdom (Matthew 5:3, 8, 10).

Be salt and light (Matt 5:13)

Do your good deeds so that they bring glory to your Father (Matt 5:16)

Don’t kill anybody, easy enough, but then Jesus associates anger very closely with murder (Matt 5:21-22).

Keep your commitments (Matt 5:27-37)

Be merciful (Matt 5:38-42)

Love your enemies (Matt 5:43-48)

Have compassion (Matt 6:1-4)

APPLICATION

Wow, what a list to live by! We have to be a part of this world but we have to have a different mode of operation, we should look a lot different than the rest of the world that doesn’t know Christ.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

I want to be sure that I am doing God’s will.

PRAYER

Lord God, help me seek your kingdom and your righteouness so that I will be salt and light in this world, working to be your man on your mission.