Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Financial Ruin

SCRIPTURE


Matthew 6:19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!”

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.”

Ecclesiastes 2:4 I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. 5 I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. 6 I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees. 7 I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. 8 I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired men and women singers, and a harem as well—the delights of the heart of man. 9 I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me.

10 I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor.

11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.

OBSERVATION

This life is a temporary assignment and the treasures of this world are just as temporal, for what value is it to you after you leave this temporary assignment and arrive at your eternal destination?

Every day in the news there is another loss in somebody’s temporary wealth, probably it was somebody that put great value in their treasures here on earth. Look at how much wealth that Solomon had accumulated and yet he tells us that it is all “meaningless, a chasing after the wind.”

Paul reminds those that are following Christ that we are to have a different perspective:

Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

And when we “appear with him in glory” what eternal riches we will have!

APPLICATION

I will work to have eternal treasures, I want to be "His man on His mission"

PRAYER

Lord you are a great God with eternal riches that can not pass away, I thank you that you want to share those riches with us for eternity. I pray that I will work for what matters and be your man on your mission. I pray that you will raise up many more men that will be on your mission, storing up eternal rewards.