Saturday, December 27, 2008

I Am Not Worthy

SCRIPTURE


Matthew 3:13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.

16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

OBSERVATION

Jesus has been in Nazareth for thirty years just growing up and experiencing life from our perspective. Now it is time to begin his ministry. I wonder why he wasn’t allowed to start his ministry before then. It must have seemed like forever to be here for thirty years, but even Jesus didn’t begin his ministry until it was time.

We will never know why Jesus insisted that he had to be baptized by John, was it just an example for us to follow or was it more? The Pharisees had a ceremony of washing which was made up by human invention that Jesus seems to be rejecting for a new ordinance that is ordained by God.

In being baptized Jesus pleased the father and the Holy Spirit as we can see from verses 16 and 17.

John the Baptist was a great man with a huge following when Jesus begins his public ministry. Jesus tells us in Matthew 11:11: I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist.

John kept himself humble despite his success in ministry, he was right to reject the idea that he should baptize our Lord.

God has further honors in reserve for those whose spirits continue low when their reputation rises. –Matthew Henry Commentary

APPLICATION

Keep yourself in perspective, when God uses you don’t think that it has anything to do with you, it is his will and his purpose that prevail.

PRAYER

Thank you Lord, for finding me useful for you despite my short comings. I pray that I will be humble and dependent on you in everything that I do.