Wednesday, December 10, 2008

God Gives The Power


SCRIPTURE

Colossians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,

Colossians 1:24 Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 25 I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— 26 the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. 27 To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

28 We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. 29 To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.

OBSERVATION

It wasn’t Paul’s choice that made him an apostle; he is a servant by God’s commission.

I am sure that there are a lot of people doing great things for the Lord that forget where the credit belongs for “their” ministry. Paul knew that he was chosen by God for a specific task to make Christ known to the gentiles (Colossians 1:25-27). Paul could have thought that he was in the ministry because he went to the Pharisee version of seminary, he was very well learned in the scriptures, but no it was totally God’s decision to use Paul.

God gave Paul the energy for the job.

When God gives you a job to do he will always supply the ability to do the job, he is not going to command us to do something that we cannot possibly do. Paul was adequate for the job of proclaiming Christ to the Gentiles even though he was beaten or thrown in jail. One of the most incredible stories in the book of Acts is when he was left for dead outside of Lystra and then he went back into the town and continued his mission trip (Acts 14:19). I am thinking that this guy should be in the hospital but there he goes right on to the next town (Acts 14:20-21).

APPLICATION

I need to stay focused on the work that God has called me to do and not be discouraged by other people that may choose to beat me down.

PRAYER

Thank you Lord for calling me to be on mission for you, I pray that I will remember the source of my calling and where the energy comes from to do the job. Give me wisdom in leadership. I pray for the coming men’s conference to be a success that will change many men in our city.