Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Walking Away From God

SCRIPTURE

Genesis 4:1 And the man had connection with Eve his wife, and she became with child and gave birth to Cain, and said, I have got a man from the Lord. 2 Then again she became with child and gave birth to Abel, his brother. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a farmer.

3 And after a time, Cain gave to the Lord an offering of the fruits of the earth. 4 And Abel gave an offering of the young lambs of his flock and of their fat. And the Lord was pleased with Abel's offering; 5 But in Cain and his offering he had no pleasure. And Cain was angry and his face became sad.

6 And the Lord said to Cain, Why are you angry? and why is your face sad? 7 If you do well, will you not have honour? and if you do wrong, sin is waiting at the door, desiring to have you, but do not let it be your master.

8 And Cain said to his brother, Let us go into the field: and when they were in the field, Cain made an attack on his brother Abel and put him to death.

9 And the Lord said to Cain, Where is your brother Abel? And he said, I have no idea: am I my brother's keeper? 10 And he said, What have you done? the voice of your brother's blood is crying to me from the earth. 11 And now you are cursed from the earth, whose mouth is open to take your brother's blood from your hand; 12 No longer will the earth give you her fruit as the reward of your work; you will be a wanderer in flight over the earth.

13 And Cain said, My punishment is greater than my strength. 14 You have sent me out this day from the face of the earth and from before your face; I will be a wanderer in flight over the earth, and whoever sees me will put me to death. 15 And the Lord said, Truly, if Cain is put to death, seven lives will be taken for his. And the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one might put him to death.

16 And Cain went away from before the face of the Lord, and made his living-place in the land of Nod on the east of Eden.

OBSERVATION

Imagine living back in the day when God was talking to people on a daily basis, he talked to Adam and Eve and he talked directly to Cain.

Next imagine having that kind of direct conversation with God and talking to him so disrespectfully. What a smart alec talking back to God saying "am I my brothers keeper?" God nails him for killing his brother and his only concern is that the punishment is too harsh. What a callous heart!

Cain left "the face of the Lord" and we do not know if he ever came back.

APPLICATION

I don't want to be found east of Eden ever again. I have been away from the Lord before and lived my own plans and agenda but I don't want to go there anymore.

PRAYER

Father I pray that I will follow you all the days of my life, I submit it all to you.

Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him -Job 13:15