Sunday, September 07, 2008

Keep God's Will In Focus

SCRIPTURE


Acts 20:22-24  "And now I am going to Jerusalem, drawn there irresistibly by the Holy Spirit, not knowing what awaits me, 23 except that the Holy Spirit has told me in city after city that jail and suffering lie ahead. 24 But life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus--the work of telling others the Good News about God's mighty kindness and love.

Acts 21:10-15  During our stay of several days, a man named Agabus, who also had the gift of prophecy, arrived from Judea 11 and visited us. He took Paul's belt, bound his own feet and hands with it, and said, "The Holy Spirit declares, 'So shall the owner of this belt be bound by the Jews in Jerusalem and turned over to the Romans.' " 12 Hearing this, all of us--the local believers and his traveling companions--begged Paul not to go on to Jerusalem. 13 But he said, "Why all this weeping? You are breaking my heart! For I am ready not only to be jailed at Jerusalem but also to die for the sake of the Lord Jesus." 14 When it was clear that he wouldn't be dissuaded, we gave up and said, "The will of the Lord be done." 15 So shortly afterwards we packed our things and left for Jerusalem.

OBSERVATION

Paul lived his life with a single purpose that he must work to tell others the Good News of the gospel, what a bold statement. There are so many things that get in the way of what we are here to accomplish on this planet, the cares of this life press us and distract us everyday and the devil is pleased.

He is pleased that we are sticking up for our own interest, that we are protecting our self-esteem and our pursuit of worldly treasure. He loves it that we are bogged down in debt and trying to pay the bills but can’t get ahead meanwhile we are distracted from our God given task. What a delight for him that we are fighting each other even our spouses, family members and our fellow Christians.

Paul says it again elsewhere:

That is the plan I follow, too. I try to please everyone in everything I do, not doing what I like or what is best for me but what is best for them, so that they may be saved. 1 Cor 10:33 (Living)

And Christ said:

Then Jesus said to the disciples, "If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For anyone who keeps his life for himself shall lose it; and anyone who loses his life for me shall find it again. Matt 16:24-25 (Living)

Would I be willing to be thrown in jail or to die for Christ purpose? What a difficult concept, totally contrary to the plan that Satan gets us trapped in, as we buy into his lies.

APPLICATION

I am here as a pilgrim just passing through and I need to travel light and stay on task, working to tell others the good news.

PRAYER

Lord help me to live each day from your perspective of my life and my purpose for being here. Keep me from the cares of this world and help me to please you by doing your kingdom work.