Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Who Is Your Teacher

Scripture


Luke 6:1 – 49

39 He also told them this parable: "Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40 A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.

Observations

Here are two examples of Jesus being watched by the Pharisees on the Sabbath, but we know that there were many other times that it happened. I imagine that it wasn’t just Jesus although he was watched more closely, I bet that they stood around all over town and inside the temple just waiting to catch a law breaker (you brood of vipers Matthew 3:7).

The Pharisees heart of hardness is exposed in verses 1 – 11 and then Jesus shows us his heart and tells us the better way to live in verses 17 – 39.

Jesus states in verse 39 that the blind cannot be a leader for the blind and then he says that we will be like our teacher. The question is who is your teacher going to be? Is it going to be the teachers of the harsh rules that you must follow or the way of Christ that teaches love, mercy, kindness and forgiveness?

Application

Since I will become like my teacher, I choose to be taught by God and so I will study his word daily and put it into practice like the wise builder (verse 46 – 49).

Prayer

I pray that I will be taught by you always and will put your words into practice