Thursday, August 07, 2008

God Has A Mirror

Scripture


Luke 11:28 (Living) He replied, "Yes, but even more blessed are all who hear the Word of God and put it into practice."

James 1:19-25 (NIV) Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does.

Psalms 119:1-6 (Living) Happy are all that perfectly follow the laws of God. 2 Happy are all that search for God and always do his will, 3 rejecting compromise with evil and walking only in his paths. 4 You have given us your laws to obey-- 5 oh, how I want to follow them consistently. 6 Then I will not be disgraced, for I will have a clean record.

Observations

There is a great blessing for us to acquire if we hear the word of God and do it, but there isn’t any benefit to hearing God’s word and ignoring it. The word shows us what we are like and who we should be, if we ignore what the mirror of God’s word shows us about ourselves then we don’t have the blessing of God in what we do.

In my study of Luke 6 I asked, “who is your teacher” because Jesus said, “we will be like our teacher.” Is the word of God my teacher or am I listening to somebody else? I remember a situation when I have had Christian friends with good intent give me advice that was not biblical and if I had listened to it I would have hurt my relationship with God. I must not compromise but work toward following God consistently.

Application

I will search for true happiness by using the mirror of God’s word to show me where I need to change. I will use his mirror daily.

Prayer

Lord I desire to study your word daily and to be real with you and how you see me in the mirror.