Thursday, August 21, 2008

I Don't Want To Be Guilty Of Treason

Scripture


Luke 22:1-6  Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread, called the Passover, was approaching, 2 and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were looking for some way to get rid of Jesus, for they were afraid of the people. 3 Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve. 4 And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus. 5 They were delighted and agreed to give him money. 6 He consented, and watched for an opportunity to hand Jesus over to them when no crowd was present.

Luke 22:47-48  While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, 48 but Jesus asked him, "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?"

Luke 22:54-62  Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance. 55 But when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them. 56 A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, "This man was with him." 57 But he denied it. "Woman, I don't know him," he said.

58 A little later someone else saw him and said, "You also are one of them." "Man, I am not!" Peter replied.

59 About an hour later another asserted, "Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean." 60 Peter replied, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. 61 The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." 62 And he went outside and wept bitterly.

Observation

Be-tray (bi tra’) v 1. To deliver or expose to an enemy by disloyalty. 2. To disappoint the hopes or expectations of. 3. To deceive or mislead.

How much money do you need to betray Jesus? What? I would never do what Judas did! Peter never thought that he would betray Jesus, but he did. Why do we like to make it sound nicer by saying that Peter denied Jesus but Judas betrayed him? We disappoint Him with our attitude, fears, jealousy, unforgiveness, anger the list goes on and on.

My lack of loyalty reminds me of a song by Kutless called Treason:

It all starts here with my disgrace
I give you my life then I run in haste
In this false life something needs to give

Chorus
Tell me a reason why this isn’t a treason
Tell me, tell me I’m wrong
I swear I’m back but then it turns out its only a season
Tell me, tell me I’m wrong

With my two lips I will praise your name
Then I turn around and only curse and blame
I give in, strength is thin, adding to my shame
Chorus

Your blood it covered all my sin
You changed a traitor into kin
In this false life something needs to give
Chorus


Application

I will stay in your word and apply what I read so that I can be more pleasing to you.

Prayer

Lord I pray that you will increase my faith and trust in you, to follow you with the training that comes from spending each day with you.