Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Give Up Control

Scripture


Luke 8:22 – 56  One day about that time, as he and his disciples were out in a boat, he suggested that they cross to the other side of the lake. 23 On the way across he lay down for a nap, and while he was sleeping the wind began to rise. A fierce storm developed that threatened to swamp them, and they were in real danger.

24 They rushed over and woke him up. "Master, Master, we are sinking!" they screamed. So he spoke to the storm: "Quiet down," he said, and the wind and waves subsided and all was calm!25 Then he asked them, "Where is your faith?" And they were filled with awe and fear of him and said to one another, "Who is this man, that even the winds and waves obey him?"


Isaiah 45:9-11,15,24 (Living)  9 Woe to the man who fights with his Creator. Does the pot argue with its maker? Does the clay dispute with him who forms it, saying, "Stop, you're doing it wrong!" or the pot exclaim, "How clumsy can you be!"? 10 Woe to the baby just being born who squalls to his father and mother, "Why have you produced me? Can't you do anything right at all?"

11 Jehovah, the Holy One of Israel, Israel's Creator, says: What right have you to question what I do? Who are you to command me concerning the work of my hands?

15 Truly, O God of Israel, Savior, you work in strange, mysterious ways.

24 "In Jehovah is all my righteousness and strength," the people shall declare. And all who were angry with him shall come to him and be ashamed.

Observations

In the middle of all the chaos and suffering it is difficult to always remember that we know who is in charge of everything. Jesus reveals that he is in control of the natural world, the supernatural world and even authority over life and death.
It is a challenge to let go of our plans and be constantly looking for God’s plan. And who are we to complain and what good comes from getting angry that his plan doesn’t look like what we wanted.

Application

I have to remember that Rick doesn’t know best, but if I am diligent in prayer and Bible study then God will reveal his will for my life. When it doesn’t make sense I just need to remember “This plan of mine is not what you would work out, neither are my thoughts the same as yours! For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than yours, and my thoughts than yours.” Isaiah 55:8-9 (Living)

Prayer

Jesus may I remember who you are and the power that you can have in my life if I will allow you to take control. Let everything that I do in my personal life and in ministry be the plan that you have made for me to accomplish.